Comtech EF Data Heights Hubs
Comtech EF Data Heights™ Hubs
The Heights™ Networking Platform is engineered to elevate your services with unparalleled horsepower, efficiency and intelligence. The features within the platform were designed with the service provider and its multi-tenant environments in mind, from concept to operation.
Heights combines our most efficient waveforms, header and payload compression engines, WAN optimization, proven dynamic bandwidth and power management along with bidirectional ACM capability to provide the highest user throughput, highest availability, and most optimal resource utilization available in the industry.
The Heights Networking Platform meets the demands of those operating on traditional wide beams while providing distinct advantages for those with High Throughput Satellites (HTS) in their futures. Heights is HTS ready, providing the lowest cost highest throughput solution for feeder link teleports supporting fixed or remote terminals, scaling from tens to thousands of sites economically.
Three hub configurations are offered:
- Heights Solo-Mini – Single network hub with single outbound carrier and shared bandwidth pool for inbound connections, for small private networks
- Heights Solo – Single network hub with single outbound carrier and shared bandwidth pool for inbound connections
- Heights VNO – Multi-network hub with multiple outbound carriers along with multiple associated shared bandwidth pools for inbound connections
- Custom hub configurations are also available
- Oil & Gas
- Cruise and Cargo
- Corporate Enterprise
- Service Provider Multi-Tenant Environments
- Non-Governmental Organization (NGO)
- Mobile Network Operators
- Satellite Operators
- Maritime, Offshore & Mobility Communications
- Latency sensitive Business Applications
- IP Trunking & Internet Access
- Mobile Backhaul
- Satellite News Gathering
- Content Distribution Networks
Heights Dynamic Network Access (H-DNA)
H-DNA is an evolutionary dynamic network access technology designed for Heights return links that:
- Rapidly adapts to changing environments
- Delivers superior efficiency & Quality of Experience (QoE)
- Instantly assigns capacity based on network-wide demand
- Intelligently utilizes total network bandwidth at all times
H-DNA is fast, flexible and uncompromising, delivering unprecedented benefits to users and service providers alike. More detail is available on: http://www.comtechefdata.com/technologies/heights-dynamic-network-access-h-dna
The multi-tier optimization in the Heights Networking Platform provides the highest spectral and power efficiency in its class – delivering highest user IP bits per Hz and user IP bits per Amplifier Watt. This multi-layer approach includes:
Comtech’s Efficiency Boost (EB) on Outbound – waveform achieves a 10% – 35% increase in efficiency over the DVB-S2 standard without an increase in power or occupied bandwidth. EB accomplishes this by virtually doubling the number of available MODCODs, introducing three new ROF figures (5%, 10% and 15%) and minimizing implementation loss to near theoretical operation.
VersaFEC-2 on Inbounds – the VersaFEC-2 high-performance LDPC FEC method was specifically designed to optimize application and RF performance. VersaFEC-2 High Rate provides 38 ModCods (BPSK to 32-ARY) with performance generally better than DVB-S2 at significantly lower latency and VersaFEC-2 provides 36 ModCods (BPSK to 32-ARY). All higher order constellations are quasicircular for optimal peak-to-average performance.
Bi-Directional ACM – provides a significant increase in throughput and availability as it converts fade margin into increased capacity, making it possible to more than double the throughput for Ku-band operation, even under deep fade. Unlike other satellite networking platforms, Heights leverages ACM in both directions, ensuring that both directions of links are optimized based upon weather, beam location and antenna size.
Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation – the dynamic bandwidth allocation engine of the Heights solution resizes and can move the center frequency of inbound SCPC carriers based upon user-defined policies. The dynamic bandwidth allocation engine manages the return bandwidth pools, acting upon an automatic switching request that is initiated by a remote in response to traffic load or protocol classification of inbound traffic.
IP Header and Payload Compression – a highly robust lossless compression engine and IP header compression technique operate in conjunction to significantly reduce the total amount of data that need be transmitted over the satellite, creating a significant increase in user IP throughput for a given satellite resource. The hardware-based payload compression engine leverages industry-leading GZIPbased compression with session management for maximum compression, typically reducing required satellite bandwidth by 30-40% while software compresses Ethernet, IP, UDP, TCP and RTP headers. For a VoIP call the typical 54 byte Ethernet/IP/UDP/RTP header is reduced from 54 bytes down to as little as 1 byte, creating up to 75% additional savings. This combination ensures mission-critical application integrity while driving maximum net efficiencies.
Advanced Multi-Tier QoS – the advanced multi-tier QoS mechanism of the Heights platform performs traffic shaping while ensuring the highest quality service with minimal jitter and latency for real-time traffic, priority treatment of mission critical applications and maximum bandwidth efficiency.
NetVue™ Integrated Management System (NMS)
A state-of-the-art NMS is critical to operating a shared multi-user platform that supports multiple business models in a cost-effective manner. The Heights leverages the powerful NetVue Integrated Management System as a single front-end of multiple networks to observe and modify elements throughout all customer networks. In addition, NetVue provides tiered access levels that allow a network operator to provide Virtual Network Operator (VNO) monitor and control access to a number of different service providers for their own partition of the platform.
NetVue is a robust, comprehensive network management and analytics engine that allows users to intelligently maximize resource utilization, ensure network uptime and meet Service Level Agreements (SLAs) while maximizing Quality of Experience (QoE).
It has the power of an intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) for real-time data gathering, trend analysis, alarm management, dashboard reporting and analysis, notification, and advanced applications for reporting, automation, spectrum analysis and event correlation.
This powerful GUI dynamically presents the managed network in multiple views, including map view, site views, rack diagrams, and Key Performance Indicators. In addition, NetVue offers advanced applications for automation, scheduling, monitoring, reporting and spectrum analysis. For additional detail, refer to the NetVue datasheet.
Seamless Bridge Point-to-Multipoint (BPM) Operation
The Heights Networking Platform operates in BPM mode to provide true layer 2 operation. To a service provider’s network, the entire Heights network is viewed as an Ethernet switch while benefiting from a bi-directional multi-tier QoS with VLAN ID classification.
Global IP Roaming
Global IP roaming enables a satellite terminal on-board a mobile platform to seamlessly transition between satellite beams or hub coverage with minimal service interruption. Each remote gateway includes an embedded mobility controller that interfaces with the Antenna Control Unit (ACU), maintains satellite footprint maps and initiates beam switching and handoff as the vessel moves through the satellite footprint. It offers a common management interface for the mobility server and the ACU by providing a set of commands, information, interfaces and status queries.
Heights WAN optimization includes TCP / http acceleration, persistent TCP connections, image smoothing, DNS caching and object caching and significantly improves user’s web browsing experience over higher latency satellite links while reducing the amount of required bandwidth.
It also enables web and other TCP applications to fully utilize all available bandwidth. WAN optimization uses FX-4010C Application Delivery Controller (ADC) at the hub. All Heights remotes incorporate embedded WAN optimization. WAN optimization is fully integrated with multi-tier QoS, ACM and IP optimization for maximum performance and efficiency.
Heights supports dynamic remote-to-remote connections (MESH) in router mode with Dynamic SCPC (dSCPC), using additional receivers at the remote. Dynamic MESH requires “loop-back” operation where each site in a MESH connection is able to receive from all other sites in that MESH connection. Dynamic MESH eliminates double hop latency as remote-to-remote packets don’t have to transit through the hub. It also requires 50% less bandwidth as a remote-to-remote double hop link would consume almost twice the bandwidth.
Comtech Network Planning Tool (CNPT)
The CNPT is a comprehensive “toolkit” that analyzes different network architecture design options and generates budgetary designs along with total traffic efficiency, allowing the user to select the most optimal solution prior to network rollout. Powered by a combination of Google Maps, SatBeams and the SatMaster LBA core, CNPT allows a user to conduct multiple iterative analyses quickly, modifying traffic patterns and assignments to determine how each modification in traffic and/or network design affects the network’s efficiency and resulting economics, CNPT consists of two tools that work in tandem, one focused on traffic planning and another focused on overall network planning.
Traffic Planning Tool – Allows user traffic entry along with the assignment of traffic types to different remotes throughout a network. Generates the overall traffic efficiency, including resulting compression efficiency gains, of each unique design to allow a user to determine the most optimal design for a particular traffic flow.
Network Planning Tool – Allows a comprehensive analysis of the entire network and allows proper hub and remote design. Transmission planning and link budget tools allow a user to generate total network outbound and inbound efficiencies in summary form.
Engineering Support Services (ESS)
ESS is our premium service, supporting the design, implementation and ongoing optimization of the Heights integrated satellite network infrastructure. Offering 24x7 engineering support before, during and after network rollout, the ESS Prime service is backed by a team of seasoned satellite network engineers who have designed, implemented and optimized networks around the world, and leverage this expertise daily to lead users to the best network solution.
- Designed from the ground up for the service provider; seamless integration with existing IT infrastructure
- Highly scalable platform able to support multiple business models simultaneously with networks ranging from a few sites to thousands of sites
- Seamless layer 2 operation with VLAN support simplifies “plug-n-play” integration with provider infrastructure and maintains traffic separation among users
- Advanced multi-tier QoS to support the service provider environment of diverse end users operating in a multi-tenant environment
- Intelligent NetVue NMS provides insight required to operate the network optimally, maximizing resource utilization and enhancing profitability
- Allows a network operator to support a number of different business models, including VNO and co-location
- Comtech Network Planning Tool seamlessly integrates with the NetVue NMS to port configurations from planning to operations
- ESS Prime service provides 24x7 consultation to ensure optimal design, implementation and operation
- Bi-directional ACM enables optimal operation and highest network availability under all conditions, especially for on-the-move applications
- Dynamic bandwidth and power management provide optimal resource utilization achieving highest user throughput for available bandwidth and power
- High-performance multi-core packet processing enables the most demanding services to be supported while providing the highest throughput abilities in the industry
- WAN optimization improves user QoE while saving bandwidth
- Maximizes Quality of Experience (QoE) by providing the best support of mission-critical business applications that require the lowest latency and jitter possible
|Country of Manufacture||United States|
|Manufacturer||Comtech EF Data|
|Input Power||110 - 230 VAC|
|Max Data Rate||up to 150 Msps outbound|
|Max Symbol Rate||150 Msps|
|Modulation||QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK, 32APSK|
|Output Frequency||50 - 180 MHz, 950 - 2150 MHz|