WORK Microwave VSM2CU DVB Satellite Modulator-Upconverter
WORK Microwave VSM2CU DVB Satellite Modulator-Upconverter
WORK Microwave's High-speed DVB Modulator-Upconverter series combines WORK Microwave’s fifth-generation upconverters with a DVB modulator in a single housing, providing operators with significant cost and space savings. No extra modulator is required. Ideal use cases include fixed satellite ground stations as well as in satellite newsgathering (SNG) vehicles, flyaways, and other mobile or portable applications.
New approach – better solution
Traditionally, two separate units are in use for highpower TV uplinks that require low spurious emissions: a modulator plus a conventional upconverter. WORK Microwave’s combined modulator and converter concept allows both units to exist in one housing. This approach provides a very low spurious signal over the whole frequency band and reduced group delay characteristics. This is a significant advantage compared with combined L-band modulator/block converters. For each frequency band the entire bandwidth range is covered e.g. for Ku-band, 12.75- 14.50GHz is supported.
MPEG transport stream input-RF output
The unit accepts MPEG transport streams on ASI, SPI, or TS over IP inputs from a video encoder or MPEG multiplexer and provides a DVB-S/S2/S2X modulated carrier in the C-, X-, Ku-, K- or Ka-band which can be directly connected to a high-power amplifier.
Additionally a baseband frame input is available for VCM and ACM operation in combination with external multiplexers or encapsulators.
High signal integrity
Low spurious emissions make the modulatorupconverters perfect for use in environments with demanding requirements, like high-power video uplinks. Sophisticated temperature compensation guarantees gain stability over a very wide temperature range.
Broadcast Predistortion and Extended Predistortion – operating in the background during regular transmission – mitigates the negative effects in the filters and amplifiers of satellites by automatically compensating for linear and non linear distortions. Subsequently the satellite link can be operated with less back off/higher power and a higher signal-tonoise ratio increases beam coverage ensuring higher throughput and availability for the satellite operator.
Flexibility, Backward Compatibility
Mode adaptation, FEC encoding, and modulation is compliant with the DVB-S2/S2X standard ETSI EN 302307. QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK, 32APSK, 64APSK modulation is available. For backward compatibility, the modulator also supports BPSK, QPSK, 8PSK, 16QAM modulation according to the DVB-S standards ETSI EN 300421 and 301210. Using the modulator, carriers with very low symbol rates (e.g., 8 ksps) up to 80 Msps can be transmitted.
Operating and Control – Easy Integration into Your System
The converters can be operated via push buttons on the front panel using intuitive display menus or via remote control (RS232, RS422/485, TCP/IP over Ethernet). Detailed monitoring of the system status and a summary alarm output (dual change over switch contacts) are provided. For remote control, addressable, packet-based commands are used. Remote monitoring and control through SNMP and a Web browser interface is available.
Specials and OEM products
WORK Microwave can customize any product to meet an operator’s exact specifications. We offer specials as follows:
- Dual- or Tri-Band versions
- Customized M&C interface and control syntax
- Extended storage or operating temperature range.
- Military versions for hostile environment (shock, vibration, humidity)
- Outdoor units
- DVB-S2X - ETSI EN 302 307-2 DVB-S2 - ETSI EN 302 307-1 DVB-DSNG - ETSI EN 301 210 DVB-S - ETSI EN 300 421
- DVB-S2X modulations: QPSK / 8PSK / 16APSK / 32APSK / 64APSK normal, short and linear
- DVB-S2 modulations: QPSK / 8PSK / 16APSK / 32APSK normal, short
- DVB-S and DVB-DSNG: QPSK / 8PSK / 16QAM modulation
- DVB Carrier ID - ETSI TS 103 129
- Broadcast Predistortion including automatic group delay and dynamic constellation predistortion for QPSK and 8PSK (option XB)
- Extended Predistortion including automatic group delay and static constellation predistortion up to 32APSK (option XE)
- Optional BISS-E encryption, supports multi program transport stream
- Physical layer framing with scrambling codes 0 to 262141 according to DVB-S2 standard
- Roll-Off: 35 %, 25 %, 20 %, 15 %, 10 %, 5 %
- Adjustable digital slope equalizer
- Low spurious output
- Dual ASI interfaces with automatic cable equalizer and auto-switchover
- DVB-S2 Multistream support with capacity management with two input streams supported. Optional hex ASI interface available, including 3x2 auto redundancy switchover (option MT6)
- Transport Stream over IP inputs (option TI1, TI2)
- VideoACM support
- Baseband Frame Input for VCM operation and connection to external encapsulators, etc
- Null packet insertion and deletion with PCR correction
- Still picture playout; customized picture content can be loaded to the modulator unit
- Symbol rates from 8 ksps to 80 Msps
- Data rate max approx. 213 Mbps per ASI Interface
- Data rate max 356 Mbps with SPI Interface
- Remote control through RS232, RS422/485 (2-wire or 4-wire) interfaces, TCP/IP over Ethernet, Web browser interface, SNMP with MIBs downloadable from the device
- Summary alarm output with dual change over switch contact
- Transmit mute input
- 10 MHz Reference OCXO included
- Optional test output of modulated signal 990 MHz
- Extended operating temperature range option -30 °C to 60 °C (-22 °F to 140 °F)
- CE compliant
- 3 years warranty
|Country of Manufacture|
|Input Power||90 - 264 VAC|
|Max Data Rate||3 kbps … 356 Mbps (SPI interface) 3 kbps … 213 Mbps (ASI interface) 10 kbps … 213 Mbps (TS over IP interface)|
|Max Symbol Rate||80 Msps|
|Modulation||QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK, 32APSK, 64APSK|
|FEC||DVB-S2, DVB-S2X, DVB-S, DVB-DSNG|
|Output Frequency||50 - 180 MHz, 5.850 - 6.650 GHz, 7.9 - 8.4 GHz, 12.75 - 14.5 GHz, 17.3 - 18.4 GHz|
|Dimensions||483 x 44 x 505 mm (WxHxD), 1 RU (19")|